Perimenopause happens to every woman. This is the time when your ovaries gradually begin to stop producing hormones such as estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. Every woman will have a unique perimenopause experience, but most women report experiencing these common symptoms:
- Irregular periods
- Hot Flashes or night sweats
- Trouble Concentrating
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Vaginal Dryness
How Do I Know if I’m in Perimenopause?
Every woman enters perimenopause at a different age. You can visit your healthcare practitioner for a physical exam and lab work to test your hormone levels which can help determine a diagnosis of perimenopause.
How Can I Manage My Symptoms?
There is no home remedy to replace declining hormone levels, but there are several ways you can support your body through this transition:
- Sleep: Aim for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night. Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day helps your body get into a good routine. And don’t forget to turn off screen time (TV, Phone) at least one hour prior to getting in bed.
- Diet: A diet focusing on lean protein, healthy fats such as nuts and avocados, and carbohydrates from fruit and vegetables will provide the nutrients your body needs to perform all of its metabolic functions.
- Exercise: Lean into weight-lifting to build muscle which helps you stay strong and protects your bones from fractures as you age. Add in a daily walk outdoors where you get sunshine and fresh air as a low-impact form of cardiovascular exercise.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: Replenishing your body with bio-identical hormones can relieve your symptoms, maintain your health, and greatly improve your quality of life. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Ambrosia Boyd, DNP today to receive a customized treatment plan that will make you feel like your happy, healthy self again!